Orange French Toast Recipe
- 6 slices of italian, white or wheat bread
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
- 1 1/2 tsp. orange juice
- 5 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Margarine or butter for the pan
- Confectioner’s sugar (optional)
- Your favorite Maple Syrup
- Cut a pocket horizontally into each slice of bread, without cutting all the way through. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese, orange peel, OJ, and sugar. Spoon 1 heaping tsp. into each bread pocket. Use a knife to spread evenly.
- In a small bowl, beat together the milk, flour, and vanilla. Place bread, one at a time, into the milk mixture. Let soak about 5 seconds and then flip over and let soak another 5 seconds.
- Melt the margarine on a griddle or pan over medium heat. Cook the bread slices for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and maple syrup.
Picture Credit: Brittany Cameron