Homemade Bread Stuffing Recipe
- 3/4 cup margarine or butter (To cut calories, I use 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 9 cups dry bread cubes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1-2 cups of chicken broth (or 2 bouillon cubes dissolved in 2 cups of boiling water)
- Melt margarine in a large pot over medium heat.
- Cook celery and onion in margarine for 2-5 minutes (depending on the size)
- Remove from heat and add bread cubes, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning
- Slowly add chicken broth and stir until you get a nice consistency. The dryer your bread crumbs, the more broth you will need.*
This is an EASY and FRUGAL side dish. Freeze leftover bread instead of throwing it away and once you have enough, use it for this recipe! This is the only way I will use bread that has been frozen. The other ingredients are also inexpensive so for only a few dollars, you can have delicious, homemade stuffing!
We make this Homemade Stuffing Recipe throughout the year – not just at Thanksgiving!
*If you are using this Homemade Bread Stuffing to stuff a turkey or chicken, do not use as much broth.
Checkout the LadySavings Recipes Page for my personal favorites!