This Chicken Noodle Casserole is one of my favorite recipes which I found in my Taste of Home Magazine years ago (they also have it on their website here). If you make this, let me know what you think! Also, if you have a recipe that makes for an inexpensive meal, pass it along!
This recipe is Very Inexpensive if you stock-up on the ingredients when they are on sale!
No Yolk Noodles – get 1 for only 80¢ at Giant Eagle this week
Cream of Chicken Soup – was only 29¢ at Kroger recently
Mayo – we saw many sales this summer
Cheese – we see sales on cheese all the time
Chicken Breast – using on 1 chicken breast doesn’t cost much at all! I usually buy the frozen breasts at Kroger, but you could also cut up leftover chicken to make a “new” Dinner out of it!
(Photo and recipe credit to Taste of Home) I put in parenthesis things I do differently.
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use a little less)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken (I usually just boil 1 chicken breast)
- 1 small onion, chopped (I LOVE the onion in this, but my son doesn’t so I leave it out if he’s home)
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper (I also LOVE the green pepper (gives the recipe a little crunch along with onion) but I leave it out as well if my son is home.
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper (I never have a red pepper on hand)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 12 ounces medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Stir in the chicken, onion, peppers, 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Add noodles and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.